In this post, we give you some easy and practical tips to save money during winter on your heating energy bills.
FIND AND SEAL LEAKS
1. Seal the air leaks around utility cut-throughs for pipes (“plumbing penetrations”), gaps around chimneys and recessed lights in insulated ceilings, and unfinished spaces behind cupboards and closets.
2. Find out how to detect air leaks. Learn more about air sealing new and existing homes.Add caulk or weatherstripping to seal air leaks around leaky doors and windows.Find out how to select and apply the appropriate caulk.
3. Learn how to select and apply weatherstripping.
MAINTAIN YOUR HEATING SYSTEMS
1. Schedule service for your heating system.
2. Find out what maintenance is required to keep your heating system operating efficiently.
3. Furnaces: Replace your furnace filter once a month or as needed.
4. Find out more about maintaining your furnace or boiler.
5. Wood and Pellet-Burning Heaters: Clean the flue vent regularly and clean the inside of the appliance with a wire brush periodically to ensure that your home is heated efficiently.
6. Find other maintenance recommendations for wood and pellet-burning appliances.
Related Post: Summer Cooling Tips
Do you need help with your Furnace or HVAC System?
Contact us online or phone
We serve Warrenville, Carol Stream, Downers Grove, Geneva, Lombard, West Chicago, Naperville, and Batavia and nearby communities.